Monday, August 31, 2015

Wow

This week has definitely been one of the longest and hardest of my life, but I´ve also seen some great tender mercies as well. I felt good when we arrived and when I found out who my comp was the next day, but as soon as we got to our apartment that afternoon, it just hit me that I was all alone with my comp, who I can´t even always understand. But, I just sort of pushed it aside and the day was a little exhausting but overall not bad.

The next day, however, this homesickness and loneliness hit me like never before. I´m not exaggerating when I say I was on the verge of tears for most of the afternoon.  Same with the next day.  It took everything I had to not just sit on the curb and sob. I wouldn´t have gone home given the chance, but 18 months had never seemed so long. But then we were teaching this girl, and I was thinking about home when I realized that this wasn´t just some random girl I´d just met, but rather an investigator who I had the chance to help. And that I was going to be here for at least three more months (most likely) and this was someone I was going to come to love. And as soon as I realized that, I felt great. I became engaged in the lesson, and the rest of the afternoon was great.

This depression, mixed with hours like the one I just described, lasted for about 3 days. I literally could barely control it, and it freaked me out. But on Saturday I told the Lord I really needed His Spirit and help, and I really did want to be here and do His will. And that day was great. We taught at least seven lessons and found three golden investigators. And I mean golden, super prepared. It was such an answer to my prayer. I´m still a little lonely and homesick, but I have been genuinely happy the past three days, and I already love the people we teach. I wish I could share more about them and all the tender mercies we've seen.

Anyway, I´m telling you all this because I don´t want to sugercoat what it´s like here, or think I´m just sharing the nice stuff. This is hard, but it´s also great.  I miss you all like crazy, but I know this is where I´m supposed to be, and I know there is a pure joy that comes from sharing the gospel.

President Hansen said that if I was obedient, I would experience joy in my mission unlike I've ever felt before. And I could feel that it was a real promise and blessing, not just something he says to all the missionaries in passing.  I´ve kind of been holding on to that this week :)

Elder Bednar also came to our mission last week, and I just missed him. bummer

I’m serving in Tiquipaya, a little city on the outskirts of Cochabamba.  My trainer is from Colombia and she’s only been out for three months, so she just finished her training.  She’s a hard worker and I really like her and, thank goodness, I can understand her Spanish about 75% of the time.

There’s an hermana who has a blog http://brinleyinbolivia.blogspot.com/  Her first three months were in my area, so I’m teaching some of the same people and you can probably find more details because it’s the same apartment and everything.

I’ll tell you more about Bolivia and the culture next week but I don’t have much more time.


We played ultimate frisbee at a park for pday.

I love you all!

Love Hermana Rupp

2 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring you are going to be our family home evening lessons for the next year and a half! We are so proud of you and your faith and determination will continue to pray for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring you are going to be our family home evening lessons for the next year and a half! We are so proud of you and your faith and determination will continue to pray for you

    ReplyDelete